Monday, May 31, 2010

Daybreak Tri

I'm really glad I have a picture of me smiling with my 2 youngest on this sprint tri because it really was the most miserable tri (of the whopping 4!) that I've done! I did this tri last year and loved the location, people and experience... but maybe that was because they cancelled the open water portion last year... ;]

So, I was determined to do it again this year to try out the lake (Oquirrh Lake in West Jordan, UT). Well, I can honestly say, that this was the most miserable fffffreezing cold lake swim I've ever done! But, I am a BIG WOOSIE in the cold! (Water temp reports anywhere from 53-57 deg.) As soon as I started swimming towards the 1st of 3 buoys, I knew this would be my worst swim ever! I was immediately looking for the nearest exit from the water to "dnf" but there was none, so I kept going. I'm glad I finished but very bummed at my placing and times - it took me 1:50 to finish and I was 17th out of a whopping 19 in my age and 70th of 88 total women in the sprint. So, here ya go, all..... I'm posting this to make everyone else feel good about their times!

One thing I learned, though, was that even a poor time was OK when I finished something that was soooo very hard for me. But, it was really fun to see Melissa there who was a trooper to do the Olympic but unfortunately wasn't able to finish the swim on account of dry heaving because of the ccccold. (Breathing during the swim is always nice, right Mel?) I DO love being able to see those from the team at these things! (And, I believe Ammie Black (from the club?) did this, too? I don't know you, Ammie, but it looks like you did great! ...4th outta 7 in her age in the Olympic! Anyone else on club or team do this one?) Needless to say, I WILL be more careful in choosing my "spring" tri's and look for warmer waters.... or just stick with pools til July or later?... All in all, though, I still had fun, which I think is what matters.... so I'm still at it til it's no longer fun. ;]

My fav. part? When I was running in to the finish with my girls, and my youngest, trying to keep up, kept saying, "Mom! My pants are falling down!" Hee, hee, ha, ha, ha... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Œ