Tuesday, January 31, 2012

St. George 1/2 Marathon- Better Late then Never

Just like Amber I think this was a great course! I loved the fact that it was not, too hilly. It was the perfect amount of downhill and uphill. Although I always want more downhill!

I am in the middle of Ironman Training, well actually almost done, so I wasn't expecting a very fast race. My PR time was at an all downhill course, so I knew there was no way I was going to beat that. After already having worked out 12+ hours that week of the race, I was just going to take it easy. Every year I take a girls trip to a race with my mom and all of her friends, and this was the pick this year. Me and my mom are pretty competitive, at least lately, now that she is getting old(that is what I like to tell her) and I am getting a bit faster. (I have only beat her one time in my life and that was at the last half that we did together) But for this race we were going to run together.

Unlike Amber I was stoked to hear that it was suppose to rain. I tend to really excel when it is cold and wet, I over heat super easy. That morning all of the ladies that I was with were all depressed about the rain and there I was singing and dancing in it!!!

Right before the start of the race I leaned over to my mom and asked if she wanted to still run together and she said," yep." (remember we were both going to take it easy) The gun went off...... and she took off! I was so mad, that was it, the race was on! All of my thoughts about taking it easy went out the window. I forgot all about my tired legs and all I cared about was beating her.

The first 6 miles were more uphill, and I was still feeling really good. At mile 6.5 there was a bit of a downhill right before the last big hill. I decided to kick it into gear and I race right past my mom. She tried to keep up for a min, and told me to slow down, but I was too mad at her for leaving me. So, what does a good daughter do I went faster! By this point I caught up with the 1:45 pace group. I stayed with then for another couple of miles, every once in a while I would turn around to see where my mom was and she was always right there so I couldn't slow down.

At mile 9 I really started to feel all of my training that I had been doing that week. My legs were tired and I knew I couldn't keep my pace. I slowed up a bit, but still stayed in front of my mom. Miles 9-13 were just a mental battle. I knew I was tired, but I had to keep going. With about .25 left I decided I would wait to my mom and finish with her. Then two big guy came right by and and told me I should just keep going.

I ended up finishing about 20 sec. in front of my mom!! Boy oh boy did I call everyone that I knew and told then that I had beat her! (The first time she beat me it was because she had a port-a-potty break, and I did not. This time there was no excuses!)

The trip was really great, and not just because I beat her! I would definitely suggest this race!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Œ