Thursday, September 13, 2012

Yuba...an awesome team race!

Yes...we are in the bathroom having breakfast....just don't think about it!

Laura and I before the race

Running it in...I had the best cheerleaders at the end of the race...love you all!

Britt, Laura, and I
As we are nearing the end of the triathlon season I couldn't decide whether or not to do Yuba. I had just come off an A race in Burlington, had a 2 week break, and then had just ramped up training for Austin 70.3. But, as I learned that most of the TriEdge-Kestrel team was going down I couldn't pass up the chance to race with my team...and I had never been to Yuba! So with 20 miles of running and 75 miles of biking on my legs that week I headed to Yuba knowing this race wasn't going to feel nearly as good as Age Group Nationals!
We packed the cars, loaded the bikes, and we were off with some Cafe Rio in the car for dinner (my favorite prerace meal!) We camped on the North Beach of Yuba which was the coolest campsite! We drove the cars out on the beach and just picked a spot. We found a great spot in a grove of trees with a picnic table, fire pit, and awesome view of the lake! We pitched our tent, started a fire, and made a cobbler. It was so much fun visiting and laughing around the campfire. Knowing we were still there to race I suggested we head to bed at 10:15. I am a stickler with my sleep!
Race morning was cold! And without a microwave I couldn't have my normal prerace meal. So...it was plan B for me...which was hard when you are gluten free! No bagels, no toast....so it was a banana and two oatmeal balls. We headed down to the race start, set up transition, and headed into the bathroom to have breakfast. Yes..on the floor in the bathroom...it was MUCH warmer in there and we caused a bunch of noise as we ate our breakfast. I definitely wasn't in my normal prerace mindset...I was having so much fun with the team! Shortly after breakfast I knew it was time to make sure I had everything I needed...I had a race to do!
I was excited to be racing with so many locals that I knew! I love seeing people that I know on the course, and today was going to be great. As I walked down to the water I thought the buoys looked a long ways out there, but I figured I always thought that. There was a mist coming off the water which made it VERY difficult to see the buoy. I figured this was going to be an interesting swim...and that is exactly what it was! As I started to swim I literally couldn't see anything which was discouraging..but I figured as long as I saw green caps in front of me I was going generally in the right direction. As I swam I felt like this was my first open water triathlon. I couldn't see the buoys, I felt like I was swimming forever. I was in a good rhythm but I felt like something was off. When I came out of the water in 48 minutes I about fell over. (In a matter of one second I thought, did I swim that slow? What was I doing out there! Did I swim way off course?) Then....I looked at how far I swam...1.63. (It was supposed to be .90) I later found out the buoy floated away making for a VERY long swim! This did not fare in my favor as swimming is my weak point.
I figured what was done was done...all I could do was ride and run a good race. As I rode and started playing with numbers in my head I figured out I had a really good swim....and it was a great swim with Austin 70.3 in my near future. (I am an optimist and am always looking for the good in things.)
I had a great bike and averaged 21.3 MPH...which was fantastic on my tired legs. They felt VERY tired! But, I was enjoying my day and loving the sport. As I came off the bike and onto the run I knew I was about 7 minutes off the lead woman (Thanks to Tony and Laura). I ran a good pace for the first 3 miles and then decided since 3rd place was about 3 minutes behind me there was no reason to kill myself when it didn't make a difference in placing. So...I just ran a comfortable pace for those last 3 miles. I ended up still averaging a 7:17 minute mile.
I ended up with 2nd place which was great. What mattered most was I had a great morning with my team, a great morning with friends, and a great morning doing what I love...TRIATHLON!
A special thanks to our team's amazing sponsors: Kestrel, TriEdge, FlexR Sports, HEAD USA Swimming, Bearpaw, GU, Kswiss, Darn Tough. These sponsors have helped my year be amazing and successful.
Also...a big thanks to my awesome husband and kids who put up with me and this crazy sport that I love.  I couldn't do it without their support!

1 comment:

  1. Amber you are the best!!! I loved the report :) My wife is no gluten too, it makes things challenging, props! You gave an awesome performance, it was inspiring to see! - A. Shamy

    ReplyDelete

Œ