Saturday, August 17, 2013

Saratoga Sprint…who doesn’t love a local race?



This was the 4th year for the Saratoga Springs Sprint; I have raced it 3 of the 4 years.  You can’t beat a local town race that is 7 miles from your home!  Who doesn’t love rolling out of bed and driving down the road to the race start?  Another bonus…it doesn’t start until 8:30…which means I don’t have to get up until 6:30! 

I was excited to be back racing this course after missing it last year due to being at Age Group Nationals.  When I raced it in 2011, I was overtrained and didn’t have the best race so I looked forward to be going in with a healthy mind.  When I rolled into transition shortly after 7 I couldn’t believe how many people were already there setting up!  People come early to this one!  I quickly set up my transition spot and then spent the next hour visiting with all the friendly faces that were there.  This is such a low key race and I love the opportunity to socialize with others who are racing.  While in transition the race director asked me if I wanted to go in the elite group with a couple other females, some elite males, and then the 35-39 male group.  I honestly had to think about it for a minute because people who have read my race reports know that I don’t love swimming with men…they are just not as friendly in the water.  But, the bonus was I knew I would have men in front of me to site off of which was great! And I knew the wind could get worse. So, I said yes!

Since the race doesn’t start at 8:30 it is usually windy and it doesn’t take much to stir up Utah Lake.  The wind is like clock work out there.  It kicks up at about 8:00 from the South.  I have never had a great swim at this race because it is always rough water.  I knew this morning when that wind kicked up it wasn’t going to be any different today.  I actually thought it was worse then years before!  The waves hit before we were even out of the protected marina.  I just told myself it wouldn’t be as bad coming back…..I just had to get through the 300 yards of craziness.  Coming back in was awesome because the water just pushed you back into the marina…that is when I knew I wasn’t exaggerating the size of the waves out there!  I really don’t love swimming in waves; I can never get into a rhythm!  The swim was a little long, .46.  Swim time was not something I am proud of…13 minutes.

I left the swim in the water and figured it was what it was and now it was time to hammer the bike and run.  I had no idea what place I was coming out of the water, nor did I care much.  Today was all about fun!  I hopped on my bike and embraced the South wind.  I felt like I was in my element because I bike in that dang wind ALL the time out here!  I just settled in, watched my heartrate, and pushed the course.  I was happy with my decision to start in the first wave with all the men because they are so darn competitive…and so am I!  I don’t like being passed…and neither do the guys.  So it makes for a great set up for competition.  I passed a couple guys on the bike and came in with a 21.7 MPH…happy about that!

My goal on the bike was not to thrash my legs so much that they were wasted for the run.  It is really something I have been working on this year.  As I started the run I immediately knew that I had played the game right today.  I immediately passed 2 men and was holding a great pace.  The run course is a little hilly, but I had mentally played it out in my head that morning and knew where they all were.  My goal was to average a 6:40 run and that is what I did!  Ran it in 20:09.

Overall time was 1:10 and earned me the spot of 1st overall female.  I LOVE racing, and love the new things I learn every time I am out there.  This is truly a great sport!

If it wasn’t for the rough swim ALL the time this race would honestly be one of my favorite races!  The race directors are all about putting on a great race and not making money off it.  The shirt was awesome and I won 75 dollars cash!  Great job SS Triathlon!

A special thanks to our team sponsors:  Kestrel Bikes…what can I say…I love that bike!  It has been such a great set up!  Absolutely love it.  HEAD…their goggles are seriously the best!  Switch….I LOVE their glasses!  They were awesome on the bike, and then sadly I left them in transition on the run.  Who runs without sunglasses!?!?  Bearpaw…if you haven’t tried out their shoes you are missing out!  Their flip flops are the best for race day, and I love their sandals for after!

And lets not forget my awesome support team!  My kids are the best cheerleaders a mom could ask for!  I love hearing their shout outs when I see them out there.  My husband puts up with this craziness and I appreciate him SO much!  And the Coaches…Heath and M….I couldn’t ask for better coaches for me.  I loved racing out there with Heath today, and loved seeing M out cheering as well.  They have helped me learn so much in this sport; I can’t thank them enough!
Love these little cheerleaders!

I really love me some cash!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Œ