Saturday, July 6, 2013

Dinotri...LOVE this race!

-->
DINOTRI…one of my favorites!

As our team met earlier this year we had decided to choose Dinotri as a team race.  I was really excited because I had heard good things about the race and had been wanting to race there; it just had never fit in with my race schedule.  So I called my aunt and uncle to see if we could stay at their home, which they generously agreed and we were set!

The week leading up to the race I had strained my quad, which had me a little concerned.  Natalie Rasmussen, massage therapist, tortured me in the two days leading up to the race.  I was tortured so much I couldn’t tell what was soreness from massage and what was soreness from injury.  I didn’t do anything at all the three days before the race besides massage, heat, ice, and A LOT of deep blue. Coach M gave me wise words of advice that rang through my little head the entire race “don’t ruin the rest of your race season.”  The Friday before the race I had concluded that I would not sacrifice my race season.  If it meant I walked the 10K that was how it was going to be.  I was completely unsure what race day was going to bring. 

We pulled into Vernal for packet pick up and headed to T1 to check in our bikes.  Who would have thought that Vernal was so pretty.  As we headed out to the lake I was so excited about the race course…some good climbs, some good descents…this was shaping up to be a great bike course!  We pulled into the lake and it was beautiful!  I got my bike into the lower chain ring due to the amount of climbing at the beginning and then headed to the lake for a swim.  It was so hot we didn’t even bother putting on a wetsuit.  We just hopped in and went for a refreshing swim.  It was lovely!

Dinner was the usual Café Rio…my favorite prerace meal!  We headed to my relatives where there was lots of visiting, movie watching, and yes…more heating and icing. 

Race morning came early!!  I was so excited as we headed to Vernal to race, and a little apprehensive about the leg.  I was thinking it was feeling better, but wasn’t quite sure.  We checked into T2 quickly as we were running a little behind and hopped on the bus.  As I loaded the bus I asked Laura what rack I had just put my T2 stuff in…yes, we were in such a hurry I didn’t even think to look at where I placed my shoes!  Thank goodness for a small transition area.

The morning was perfect…a little warm, but no winds.  Everyone was very social and friendly at the race.  As I was heading down to the lake I noticed a large van with a group of people with “Team Ross” shirts on.  I went over and introduced myself.  The father was going to pull his disabled son in the Olympic distance.  Before the race I watched as he carried his boy down to the lake and placed him in the raft.  It was quite touching to watch. 

So here is how the race went…..the swim was spectacular!!  It was a little long…1.10 miles, but one of my favorite swims I have had.  I got out of the water in the fastest time for me!  1.10 miles, 29:32 minutes.

The run up to transition was up a long hill and I really took it easy as I didn’t need to blow up my leg before I stepped foot on my bike.  So I walked as I took off my wetsuit and then lightly jogged up.  My T1 time was longer then I would have liked, but no need to blow up the leg!

The bike course was spectacular!  The first 2 miles was a good climb and then some nice descending into Vernal.  Once we reached Vernal there was another long climb up Dry Canyon.  The roads were so pretty and I loved the ride!  During the entire ride I was taking note of my leg which bothered a bit, but nothing that was concerning.  I just knew that I had to not bike as hard as I would like.  So it was a very enjoyable ride without being on the border of redlining!  The course was a little long, 27 miles.  Bike average, 21.3 MPH.

The run is flat as a pancake, which was great for my injury.  I think that up and down would have irritated it.  I ignored my watch and just ran off of feel paying close attention to what my leg was doing.  I ran at a pace that it didn’t hurt which, once again, made for an enjoyable run, as I wasn’t completely redlining.   I was pushing, but not to the extent that I could have which gave me the opportunity to really cheer others on as I passed them.  I passed a couple Team Ross people and let them know I was completely inspired by what they were doing. It was a great little run.  And the best part was I averaged 7:08 minute miles.

My final time was 2:32.  I came into the finish line exactly how I wanted…with no pain to the injury and happy to have completed another race.  I ended up 2nd overall!  Dinotri is serious about their prizes and taking care of the athletes!  I won 2nd place of Queen of the Mountain, which landed me some Fezzari bike supplies and then with the 2nd overall I won 100 dollars of cash and the sweetest slab of Dino Rock for my plaque!  I was so impressed with this race as well as the directors.  They were great!

And the best part of the day was watching Team Ross come in with smiles after a long, hot day.  I was so touched as I watched this father run in pushing his son as they both had smiles on their face.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to participate in this sport; I absolutely love it!  I think sometimes we get wrapped up into placing and improving our times that we forget the joy the sport brings us.  We are very lucky to have abled bodies to do these things and enjoy such beautiful places!  I was grateful for the reminder!

It was a great weekend with some girls from the team as well!!  Loved spending time with them.  A huge thanks to our awesome sponsors:  Bearpaw ( I love their flip flops and have worn them to every race the past year!), Kestrel (my bike is pretty much amazing), HEAD (Their gear rocks!), TriEdge, Flexr (No moldy bottles!), Switch (I was sad not to have my glasses at this race as they were in my husband’s car!), and T3, 3B Yoga, and GU!  
Setting up for the race!!

The girls from the team!  Awesome time racing with them and we couldn't have asked for better cheerleaders!

Number Two!

Love me some cash!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Œ