Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Echo Olympic....TriUtah puts on a fantastic event!


The Echo triathlon has always attracted a fierce group of competitive athletes.  I have always had Echo on my list of races to do, but it hasn’t lined up with my race schedule until this year!  I looked forward to going and competing with some fast triathletes to see where I stacked up. I was also excited to try a TriUtah race event under new race management.  I have always enjoyed their races, and felt that they have had a great reputation. 
I drove up with some girls from the team: Britt, McKenzie, and Laura.  We figured we would give ourselves an additional hour of sleep so reserved a room in Coalville for the night before.  We picked up our packets, visited with the new race director, and checked out the race site.  As long as Mother Nature didn’t decide to downpour this was going to be a fantastic race!!!  I love being in the mountains, and this race suited my love perfectly. 
With being with a bunch of girls we probably stayed up a little too late talking, but then snuggled into bed to get ready for the race.  And we literally snuggled.  Laura, McKenzie and I slept in the King bed and Britt was in the pull out.  It was hilarious!!  Race morning came quickly and we all rolled out of bed.  Grabbed the usually breakfast, prayed for no rain, and hopped on our bikes.  We rode the 3 miles to the race site.  As we rode the clouds definitely threatened rain, but there was no wind. 
I love being at races where there are so many familiar faces and reconnecting with friends I haven’t seen for awhile.  Setting up in transition was so much fun and full of lots of chit chat and smiles.  And the race morning weather was shaping up perfectly…my favorite forecast: a little humid, overcast, and cool!
Shortly before the race I made my way down with the girls to the race start.  Tri Utah brought in the local high school band to play the National Anthem which I appreciated.  I always love hearing it played before a sports event.   I situated myself where I usually do on the swim but today it didn’t go as planned.  My wave was men and women from ages 19-40…we all know how aggressive men are in the water!  I have never been hit, punched, or swam over so many times EVER!  The first loop was a little adventurous.  I was hoping the second lap I could just get into my groove and swim!  Second lap was much better!  When I came out of the swim and saw 25:15 on my watch I was ecstatic!  Very happy with my swim!
T1 would be a little long….a .25 mile run on dirt up to transition (the water was very low!)  I felt like I was on a little trail run.  My flip flops came off a couple times, but other then that it was pretty uneventful.  Due to the cool weather I opted for socks today!
The bike was an out and back that was deceivingly challenging.  I love some good climbs and gradual uphill, and this course did not disappoint!  I focused on a good cadence while I was going out and focused on whoever was in front of me as the next person to pick off.  I loved seeing friends out there and giving the encouraging words to each other.  This sport really attracts a great group of optimistic and happy people.  As I came back to the lake I hammered the legs trying to increase my bike average.  I won't repeat my favorite shout out from triathlete friend, Rory Burke, but it put a smile on my face as I hammered the last few miles!  I came in at 22.4 MPH average and number 4 woman. 
Coach M had texted me the night before my race plan for the run and that is what echoed in my mind.  I had decided I was going to do what I could and where I placed was where I placed.  I was here to race my best.  I loved the run….it was flat and on compacted trail.  I love trail and I just thought about all my great trail runs that I have had as I hammered each mile.  When I saw Sarah I was at mile 2.5 and she confirmed I was number four.  As I approached the turn around I decided I wanted to negative split my run.  So, I started focusing on the men in front of me and working to catch up to them.  At mile 4 I passed the number 3 woman and then I mile 5 I passed the number 2.  I knew there were several women behind me that were moving a good pace and I knew I had to push that last mile.  I came across the finish line feeling like I had given all I had for the day.  I was ecstatic to learn I had earned 2nd place. 
It is always great to get an overall finish, but they mean more to me when there are such a fierce group of competitive ladies out on the course.  I had to work for that 2nd place!  As I looked at results there were several ladies who crossed within 2 minutes of me, all who are amazing athletes….so I will relish the 2nd place for the day!
My goal is still to run an Olympic 10K in 42 minutes…my time today was 42:49, a 6:55 pace.

My total time was 2:21….a time I am very happy with…and a new PR!  I absolutely loved racing Echo.  I loved seeing so many local triathletes and their friendly faces.  The sportsmanship out on the course Saturday was truly amazing!   I loved racing with some of my teammates, and loved seeing them all out there on the course!  I absolutely love this sport and the people who participate in it!

A huge thanks to our awesome sponsors: TriEdge, Kestrel, HEAD, Bearpaw, T3, Switch, Flexr, Gu.  All of their products have been amazing and have made my year superior!  Also a huge thanks to my husband, kids, and coaches!  Every one of them has been instrumental in helping to do this sport I love!
Hanging with some of the girls!

Loved seeing all these fabulous ladies on the course!

A second overall....I had to fight for that finish!

My goods from the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Œ