Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Power of YES

One of my favorite things about doing triathlon is the opportunity it provides to be involved in a community of like-minded, active people. I love (LOVE) that Sherri was open to doing a presentation at her daughters' school, Scera Park Elementary. There was no hesitation, no gasp at the suggestion, just an enthusiastic "yes!"  At the presentation, we talked about why we love triathlon, what gear we use and the importance of putting good 'fuel' into the engine that drives our bodies. A few of the teachers perked up and mouthed that they were training for a century or triathlon. They're enthusiastic smiles said it all, "We're one of you!"

The other day, I texted Britt: "Bkng South Frk in 1hr, want 2 come?" Her response? " Yes! Where do I meet u?" When she arrived at the mouth of the canyon, I told her I brought my shoes in case she was interested in a trail run at the top, "Yes!" she said "I brought mine just in case."

Was it hard? Yes, really hard. I'm out of shape. But I only know one way to get back into shape; more "yes" less "no". Training with the TriEdge-Kestrel team has provided a chance to be with amazing women. I call them 'yes women'. When we needed volunteers for the Telos tri, everyone that wasn't racing said "yes." Planning the snowshoe trip to Tifie, everyone who was available said "yes", even though a few had never been snowshoeing before. If there's a cool new, crazy hard, totally nuts race, I know who would try it with me. More importantly, if I ever needed help I know who I would call, because I know what they would say.

Te Koi approached me at Echo Triathlon two years ago to chat about this new TriEdge thing; I could have smiled and nodded as he told me about this little idea he had. Even though I didn't fully grasp what he was talking about at the time, when he asked for my help, I am still phenomenally grateful that I said "yes." 

Muhammad Ali said, "I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

 My coach used to say, the key to success is simple: show up, pay attention and say "yes".  Seems insignificant, but it's not always easy to follow. My bed is really comfortable and that dumb alarm is really loud at 5am. I think to myself, "show up" and that gets me out of bed. When I get to bootcamp, I think, "pay attention", and when my trainer says in her shrill little 5am voice, "should we do one more set?"

I say, "yes."


1 comment:

  1. Jenn..loved this write up!! Thanks for this awesome opportunity. Love you girls!!

    ReplyDelete

Œ