Sunday, April 1, 2012

Icebreaker - Mind over Matter









A few weeks back when I realized I'd be in town for the Icebreaker, I started to get really excited!! I've been being more consistent with my training since the beginning of the year and was anxious to see how I'd do. I think I was even more excited because end of year last year I had come down with pneumonia, and instead of going out with a bang, I just fizzled out :(.

So earlier in the week, in preparation for Icebreaker, Amber and I biked and ran the course to get a good feel for it, and I was SO excited! However, I'd been having some stomach issues that day, and then Thursday they were in full effect... Friday evening, I thought I was on the mend. Then, I woke up at 5:00am Saturday morning with the worst stomach cramps ever... I kept telling myself it was mind over matter, that I could will my stomach bug away! I got up and tried to get some food in me so I would have a bit more energy to race.

I was glad to get to the transition area early enough to get all a good spot, and get all my things settled.... now, if only my stomach would settle! At this point, I wished all my stomach problems were just pre-race jitters, but they weren't... UGH! So I downed a few trusty immodium, and hoped for the best. About 15 minutes before race time, I finally started feeling better.

Lining up for the swim, I started to second guess my decision to swim in group zero, wondering if though my tummy was okay, if I had enough reserve energy to push, but it was too late now. They started the swim, and people were jumping in the water so quickly that all I could do was SWIM! Usually I love the swim, it's my favorite event, but this time, I was just going all out and didn't really get into a groove (but that's what happens in a sprint, right?). When I hit the end of the first 50 meters, I got a kick to the face and knocked my goggles off (annoying!), but I just popped 'em back on and kept on going! I was happy to finish up the swim, and get ready for the bike (all the while hoping my body wouldn't rebel!). I was so happy to have my BEARPAW slippers to run from the pool bubble, outside to the transition area - it helped to keep my feet free of debris, and to dry a little more before throwing on my cycling shoes.

Going into T1, I had been worried about getting cold, but it was so warm, I just opted for a wind breaker (which by lap two I didn't even need). I downed part of a pineapple gu (not taking any risks on caffeine not knowing how it would affect my belly), and I was out of transition. I'll be honest, I was feeling pretty dang good going up those first two hills on lap one... only one guy passed me (which for me is great, since the bike is my weak point). I just got into my groove and went as hard as my little legs would let me. I was feeling so happy by the time I was pulling around the last turn for the run.. Yay! Only 3.1 to go!

The run was not too bad, but I just was out of gas... I guess not eating much, and being sick for the days leading up to a race isn't the best for having a little storage of energy. Hmm, go figure. Anyway, I was happy with my run time, about 26 minutes and I didn't have any bowel issues (to put it delicately), hallelujah! So glad to just be finished!!

Not feeling good before hand, I didn't have any expectations really, just to finish under 1:20. But, I was bummed after to realize I missed the podium for agegroup by 37 seconds. I did, however, still have a decent finish, at 1:16, and I know I gave it all I had to give which is how I wanted to feel at the finish. It was a great group of racers, and I will definitely do the Icebreaker again.

For this race, I was so glad to have my BEARPAW slippers to keep my feet warm, Gu to energize me, HEAD goggles which never fog, and don't suck out your eyeballs, and my Flexr bottle!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Œ