Friday, April 27, 2012

Salt Lake City Half Marathon


Well over the past few years I've come to watch family and friends do the SL Marathon and half.  For whatever reason I'd never done it, usually opting for a different half to begin my running season.  So this year, I was really excited to run this race, as I'd heard so many good things about it.

I'll start by saying that this race is H-U-G-E!  I can't believe how many people participate in this!  The Salt Lake Marathon includes numerous events so there are hordes of people.  I ran the race with my brother, sister, niece and two nephews which was really fun  At the race start I of course had to use the potty, and the lines were SOO long!  There must have been at least 40+ people in front of me, and the race was set to start in 15 minutes.  I knew I had to go before I started running or it would get ugly.  So, I waited.  And then I waited some more.  Finally, they started counting down to start the race and I kept on waiting.  I figured once the race started, people would clear out.  And they did!  I finally started running about 9-10 minutes after the official start.  I figured my chip time would be sufficient, and I didn't need to worry about the gun start.

SO - once I started running, I was LOVING it!  It was the most perfect spring day.. cool temperatures (58-ish), clear blue skies, and no wind.  The first couple miles are a terrific downhill going away from the University of Utah, and I was loving just cruising down them.  The first about 3 miles or so were just along main roadways, but then we turned into the neighborhoods.  Because of the masses of people racing, the roads were entirely blocked off, and homeowners were sitting out holding signs, clapping, cheering, etc.  It was great!  I loved running into Sugarhouse park (one of my favorites in the area).  At about mile 8 my right calf started getting tight.  I had been worried about that happening, and it did :(.  But I just kept on going, though my pace was slowing.  I was super happy to hit Liberty park and enjoy the shade and the crowds of people.  My favorite sign was one an older guy was holding saying "tight butts drive me nuts".  Haha - I got a good giggle from that one.  At mile 11, I turned up State street and faced the long gradual incline, followed by the big hill leading up to South Temple.  Man, that hill was a freaking beast!  By this point, the sun was up, and it was just getting hot!  I just had to put my head down and keep on moving.  When I was about 50 feet from the top of the hill I buckled and walked to the top.  THEN, the best thing ever happened!  I turned the corner and saw the finish line!!!  For some reason I thought it would finish inside the Gateway (as it had in previous years).  I was SO happy to see that, and I took off.  My excitement gave me magic legs to run on... I was booking it -- at one point I looked down and saw I was going at a 6:45 pace.  Then I realized the finish was still a ways up the road and I felt like throwing up.  But I just pushed hard and had a strong finish.

I was disappointed with my overall time (1:55 and some change), but couldn't be mad about racing on such a gorgeous day on a race that had awesome energy!  Props to my ROTC nephew who hadn't been running at all and still scored a 1:43 time.  Ah the joys of being fit and young  :)

I will run this race again for sure, but next time I will slay it.  The lessons I learned on this race were:
1)  Don't procrastinate getting your miles in, until 2 weekends before your race
2)  Sometimes a race day can be not your best running day, but you can still enjoy being out there and hitting the pavement.

Race Breakfast: Peanut butter and honey half sandwich
Pre Race: Sports Legs, Badd Ass pre-workout w/ water, half a banana
Run gear: Altra Intuition, Darn Tough Socks, Fuel belt, Garmin Forerunner 205 (old trusty) :)
Nutrition: Two Gu Roctane in delicious Pomegranate and Chocolate Raspberry.  Zip fizz in water belt.
Post Race: Protein drink immediately after (stowed in my handy FLEXR bottle at the finish), Sports legs, Contour STiM Machine on my sad little calf and legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Œ